Friday, January 19, 2018

21-Day Fast - Day 12: Job Interview and new home...


In 2016, right after I started my contract job with Intuit, a home in a section of Somerset that I really love came on the market.  I walked around it with Jonathan and then had my trusty realtor, Pat Pilat, who's been working with me to find a home (since 2010!) bring me in to do a walk-through. It was a 1860's era home with a lot of the original details, but in pretty good condition. One issue was that the main bathroom had a weirdly placed shower and all of the ceilings were low, low. I mean, like, Jonathan would probably curse me out as a 6 ft+ teenager kind of low!  I put an offer on it anyway and we kept negotiating. Got them down to $175000. I pushed for $165000 and they went with another seller.

I still regret losing that house.  In reality, I likely would not have been able to make payments in the wake of me not finding a job since the Intuit contract ended.  Nonetheless, I continued to covet the potential of another home, on the same block, going on the market.

With this new desire for Jonathan to attend Princeton Academy and the possibility that I would be working in Princeton, as well, my hunger for a house in that location started to peak again.  I decided to do a realtor.com search on homes in Somerset for sale 200000 and under.  A house on that block popped up. I checked out the pictures. Another 1800 era home with original details. Large backyard, three car garage, beautiful treed lot.  I was enchanted. Next day, I drove to the house with mom and walked around it and peeked in windows. Fell more in love. Called Pat. We got in to see it later that day.  Jonathan and I were smitten.

This is our home.

Today, however, I took a closer look at the listing and the house has a lot of hidden problems.  So much character, but a shaky foundation that will need major repairs, wet basement will need new sump pump, new roof is required on the garage and new windows, as well...some new windows on the house, possibly an underground oil tank that has contaminated the soil, so that will need drying out and sealing - and then well inspected to insure all is okay there...

So all that plus cosmetic stuff that needs to be done.  Sigh. In the past, I would have just given up. In fact, I don't even have a job, so do I really believe I can get a mortgage? And it would need to be a 203K mortgage at that.  Stop being in dreamland, Kim!  Really - just stop!

I won't. I can't. 

We're smitten. There's a main floor bedroom for my mom. Only one bath, but it's set up how I love - bath tub on one side, toilet and sink on the other.  Beautiful wide plank pine floors, a gorgeous fireplace, dedicated dining room, kitchen that can easily be updated, a big bedroom for Jonathan with a window seat - walk up attic for storage and CENTRAL AIR!  A future possibility to fit a bath on top floor.  And above all, a three car garage that I can easily see as the retreat center space I've been believing for...

Another request I've added to my list, Father :-)

So, today was the job interview with Center for Supportive Schools and I believe it went well.  A panel interview in front of 6 members of the team.  I felt the Lord's hedge of protection and His peace throughout the interview. They're a fun bunch - collegial and I can see myself as a good fit.  I had to take an excel test at the end that I pretty much bombed. However, if it be your will, Father, I know You can enable me to be an EXCELLENT contributor to the team and organization.  Now only to figure out how - I - not a morning person, can transform my schedule to be up early for work and work out later in the day  - run later in the day - or - do more short runs during the week in the wee hours of the morning and long runs on the weekends and yoga at night - probably Hot Yoga on Mondays but not with Marcus (boo hoo).

So do I really want this job after all???

In truth - I still want to work full time from home.  Yet, none of the jobs I've applied to will allow that. I know that I'll be able to eventually work from home with CSS, at least once a week, but...I would still need to get Jonathan to school and then log on for a bit and then leave to do yoga! Will they allow that?  They did with Intuit, which I LOVED!  But CSS?  Father, this is my request:  To be able to work from home on Wednesdays and have the freedom to step away from 8:30-10:30 for yoga.  Will they agree to that?

In any case, stuff is sorta falling into place.  Reality - what I still long for is marriage to a man who would not require that I work from home AND getting that beautiful home AND a man who is able to actually do a lot of the work - a contractor. 

Big Ask, huh, Father?

Well, You are able to accomplish, to do, to make happen - THE IMPOSSIBLE. I'm throwing quite a few at you! If You can raise Christ from the dead, I know You can work all this out in our favor.

I'm a believer  - in YOU ALONE!!

I receive it all, in the mighty, precious name of J-E-S-U-S!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment