Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Liquid Fast - Week 2, Day 2

Venting with God

Good morning, it's Pastor Chris from the Liquid Nutley campus.

I've been around long enough to know that a relationship with Jesus Christ doesn't guarantee a happier life. Getting up early to read the Bible and pray (or fast) doesn't mean that you're immune to getting a flat tire that afternoon, or that you're less likely to receive bad news from the doctor.

I've heard some amazing stories the past couple of days. Family members have come to faith. The unemployed have been offered jobs. The sick have been healed. All of these things have been happening during this REVIVE season. Praise God.

But my prayers have been met with different results. I had been fasting for my friend's declining health. Unfortunately, he passed away a few days ago.

// READ & FEED: Spend a couple minutes reading through Psalm 88. It's dark. It's bleak. But it's real. Especially verses 13-14.

13 But I, O Lord, cry to you;
in the morning my prayer comes before you.
14 O Lord, why do you cast my soul away?
Why do you hide your face from me?

// REFLECTION: Sure, it's a little depressing, but this is one of my favorite psalms. I'm drawn to it because I totally understand what the psalmist is going through.

Overwhelmed with troubles? Yep!
You have put me in the lowest pit? Sounds familiar!
My eyes are dim with grief? That's me!

It's enough to make you wonder if all the fasting, praying, singing, getting up early on Sunday mornings is all worth it. (Seriously, how in the world did this psalm ever make it into the Bible?)

And then I realize the importance of the first two verses. They serve as a reminder that God has been faithful in my life in so many different ways. So in essence, this psalm is saying, "Jesus, you're my Savior... so guess what, I'm not going anywhere else, I'm turning to you! Nothing else is getting my attention. All my good... and bad... is yours." (It almost sounds like my wedding vows - for richer or poorer; in sickness and in health.)

Nevertheless, instead of trusting my sorrows and cares and the deepest vulnerability of my heart to just anyone or anything... Psalm 88 directs us to turn to God. And that's just what I hope we do. Because there's no one else who can take better care of our hearts.

// PRAY: Whatever it is that you're praying for or fasting for... start your prayers by reciting verses 1 and 2 from Psalm 88. And after that, feel free to be as honest as you want with God. Trust me, God can handle it.

1O Lord, God of my salvation;
I cry out day and night before you.
2 Let my prayer come before you;
incline your ear to my cry
Touch my life with Your supernatural power and favor
Cover me and Jonathan with Your care
Give us perfect and strong health and long years
Work out your perfect plan for our lives
Complete our family, Lord God - lead us to
a man after your own heart - caring, loving,
giving, responsible, strong
Make me worthy of his love, his care
Craft me as You did Esther - beautify me
Keep me and Jonathan in Your care
Lift me up to Your standard of righteousness
Through the shed blood of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ!
Keep me from falling
Keep me standing on your word
Increase my faith, increase my trust, hold up my hope
Hear my cry, Hear my call to You, Hear my requests
Thank You for answers, thank You for your goodness in my life
I praise You all day long!

No comments:

Post a Comment