Thursday, March 22, 2012

Liquid Fast - Week 1, Day 4

Yesterday we completed our first day of 3 sun-up to sundown fasts! Awesome. We ended the evening with a great worship service. with time of fellowship, sharing and prayer. Thank you, Jesus.

// READ & FEED: Today read Psalm 23 and pay special attention to the first 3 verses.

1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 he restores my soul.

// JOURNAL: Long before David ever ruled as a mighty king, he spent his youth tending sheep. So he, more than most, knew what it meant to take care of sheep. David had firsthand experience with the blood, sweat, and tears that went into taking care of a flock. And so with that in mind, what do you think it would've taken for David to declare: "The LORD is my shepherd" (Psalm 23:1)? His frame of reference made it easy for Him to understand the sufficiency and care that our Father extends to us, His sheep.

In what way is the Lord YOUR shepherd today? He guides me, hems me in, protects me, comforts me when I'm hurt, soothes me when I'm upset, frustrated or confused. He runs after me when I'm lost or afraid. He carries me when I am weary.

If you have the Lord as your shepherd...can you also say because of that, "I shall not be in want" (Psalm 23:1)? Why or why not? Yes, I'm learning to say that each and every day - more and more due to the call on my life to give over all and to depend on Him for all.

And did you know?
Although any shepherd can lead sheep to green pastures and quiet waters...sheep will not "lie down" (Psalm 23:2), they will never totally be at rest ("restores my soul" - Psalm 23:3) unless they feel free from the following fears:
- Other animals that may attack. (External Fears)
- Tension, rivalry, competition amongst themselves. (Relational Fears)
- The torment of parasites and insects within. (Internal Fears)

So which of the 3 fears described above is keeping you from lying down and having your soul restored by the Shepherd? All three - to be honest...


// PRAY: "Know that the LORD is God. It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture." (Psalm 100:3) Take 15 minutes today to "lie down" (Psalm 23:2) before the Lord and sincerely thank him for all the ways he is providing and shepherding you.

No comments:

Post a Comment