Monday, April 2, 2012

Liquid Fast - Week 2, Day 7

Be A Lion Killer

Hi everyone! Pastor Randy here!

Would you like to go on a Safari and hunt a Lion? If you are like me, Safari yes, hunt a lion, No! When it comes to experiencing a lion, I'll stick to the zoo. Bars, glass wall, AND a moat is what I need between me and the "King of the Jungle."

In 2 Samuel 23:20 & 21 we read about Benaiah the son of Jehoiada who on a snowy day chased a lion into a pit and killed it. Wow, now that's what I'm talking about!!!! I love stories that have a tough guy who conquers insurmountable odds. Movies like Gladiator, Braveheart, The Patriot, - Rudy, Miracle on Ice, really get me going. I want to be like Maximus, William Wallace, and Benaiah.

You and I face "lions" every day, we are bombarded by choices, circumstances, decisions and challenges that seem out of control and impossible to win. Sometimes we need to just let God do the fighting. And yet, there are times when it is possible to embrace a little Benaiah and with God's help chase a lion into a pit and kill it. There is a pattern in scripture; times where God appears silent until the odds are impossible. And yet God intervenes usually in the nick of time. Today we are going to look at one such story of Gods intervention and provision. We are going to learn how to kill lions!

Read & Feed: Judges 7:1-23. Pay close attention to v. 2.

2 The LORD said to Gideon, “You have too many men. I cannot deliver Midian into their hands, or Israel would boast against me, ‘My own strength has saved me.’

Journal: Spend some time in quiet meditation before you journal on this subject. Put on a worship CD and just spend a few minutes worshiping God.

As you journal today you may already be aware of a "lions" in your life that you need to take into the pit and do battle/fight. They could be things you have yet to surrender to Christ. It could be a relationship challenge (marriage, children, family, work, friends). It could be that there are habits or activities that are getting in the way of your pursuit of Christ. Today write a prayer to God on one of these items. Honestly tell Him your challenges, ask for His wisdom and help. And then put your pen down and listen, and allow God to speak to you. Jot down the thoughts that come to your mind. When a scripture verse comes to mind, write it down, look it up and read it. Often God chooses to speak to you through His Word. Bottom Line is that God is a God who loves doing the Impossible! And He sometimes invites us to challenge impossible odds so He can show/demonstrate His Power. What seems impossible to you right now? Get ready to fight! God will fight with you.

Lord, God, I'm ever perplexed about work, home, calling. I can't get it clear whether I'm hearing from You - whether the scripture and devotions are speaking to my confusion and that you are bringing me clarity through them - or if it's just my flesh, and the enemy is using it to get me into a really bad situation financially. I want to do whatever work you place in my hands as unto You, yet I continue to struggle in doing that through what is a VERY privileged position at IBM. To give 8 solid hours of effort and to be a servant to my team, our project, the company and its customers. I need Your wisdom. I need Your direction.

Then there is the desire in my heart to be a stay-at-home mom - and yet, there is no real evidence in my life of the ability to do that - I barely can make a partial meal per week for my family. So, is that just a fleshly desire, or is it real - a true, real need?

And with stay-at-home motherhood, there is my hope for a family and home for me and Jonathan - completed with a Godly husband and father to Jonathan. Is that a foolish request, since I do have a family here with my parents, my nephew, my brother and other family and friends. Am I just being greedy?

And calling -- what is my calling? Is it truly to stay at IBM and finish that and raise Jonathan. Is it Jakin Sanctuary Foundation? Is it the writing I believe I'm to do? Lord help me to understand.

Strangely, the only thing that came to mind is eHarmony. I vowed never to do on-line dating again. Though was re-considering in light of VerRonda's sister's happy result. However, had reservations: am I truly ready, what man would be interested in a 44 year old woman with a infant?

However, I will join for a month. If it's Your will, I suppose You have someone for me and me for Him. And possibly in it will be the resolution of all my other concerns...

No comments:

Post a Comment