Monday, May 9, 2011

Morally Flexible

Those are the words I viewed on a bumper sticker this morning, whilst driving toward Highland Park, NJ (a potential future hometown for me and my son, Jonathan (more about my wonderful gift from God in future posts)).

On first reading those words, my self-righteousness bubbled to the surface. Hmm, I thought to myself, I suppose that's some atheist or agnostic thumbing their noses at my Godly brothers and sisters, who courageously place fish emblems on their cars to signify their faith in our precious Jesus Christ.

And then, without missing a beat, I felt my authentic self tap me on the shoulder and whisper in my ear: "Um, Kim, take a good look at your life. Don't you think that you're just a bit morally flexible yourself - despite your Christian moniker??"

And guess what? I have to admit that my authentic self (as usual) was correct. Just take a look at the current state of my life. I'm the woman who habitually touted that her great desire was to remain celibate (after several trips off the wagon) until her dreamed of wedding night...to not sully the marriage bed...to ensure that she not defile the temple of the Holy Spirit through fornication, i.e., sex outside of marriage.

However, despite multiple journal entries pleading with God to keep me and my baby daddy above reproach in our interactions, and nights on bended knee praying the same, I found myself knock, knock, knocking on fates door, doing the exact opposite of what I'd hoped I would not.

A 15 minute roll in the hay and my life was changed...

forever changed...

forever changed for...

the better

I wonder now, as I continue this journey of living a grace-covered life, how much the Lord truly has used this situation -- my pleas to be "righteous" and "morally upright" to a point of inflexibility -- to show forth just how soverign and powerful He is? That against what some would consider "my better judgment", He saw fit to give me the greatest joy of my life - Jonathan - through what most Christians consider a deplorable act of sin (particularly so, because the man was - is - still married, thus, for all conceivable purposes - adultry was committed).

I marvel at my imperfection sometimes. Even moreso when it's seen in the shadow of my claims of righteous living and "perfection". Such claims are always tempered by the truth of God's unending forgiveness, through the Blood of Christ, spilled out over my sin spotted life.

I'm reminded that He is the giver of good things to His children - even those who stray from the straight and narrow path. I'm reminded that He is able to work all things for the good to those who love Him and are the called according to His purpose (Rom 8:28).

If being morally flexible allows His grace to shine that much brighter ... if falling short means that I'll reach up to grab Him so that I not fall even further... than I guess that bumper sticker does apply to more than the atheists and agnostics of this world.

It applies to me.

Does it apply to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment