Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Liquid Fast - Week 1, Day 2

So, Liquid, my church (liquidchurch.com) started a 21-Day consecration period on 3/19, to end on Easter day, 4/8/2012. In the middle of this time, there will be 3 consecutive Wednesday liquid fasts, i.e., on liquid, water or fresh juices, to be consumed for a 24 hour period on 3/21, 3/28 and 4/4. Pretty powerful.

We're to seek God during this time, read the daily devotionals and scripture passages, and decide on 2 -3 requests of the Lord - similar to Esther's request of the King to deliver the Jews from Haman's evil edict.

So, So, one of the things I listed was discernment related to leaving IBM. On Sunday night I asked the Lord to lead me to a specific word. I opened the Bible to Luke 5 and this scripture at verse 4 was like a rhema word to me: “Put out into the deep
and let down your nets for a catch.” I meditated on that a bit before I
went to sleep, feeling it was related to the call in my heart to just leave this job and look to Him to provide.

When the Lord wants to make a point with me, He typically speaks to me in scripture and then immediately follows up with confirmation in one of the daily devotionals I get in my email. He did that with a word he spoke to me in March 2010. He used his words of promise to Abram about having a son at this time next year to speak to me that the same would happen to me.
That same day in one of my devotional he used the same set of scripture to discuss how He is able to do the impossible. I had goosebumps and printed out the devotioanl and stapled it on the journal entry for that day (where I had indicated the Genesis scripture I'd read earlier that day). I of course thought it meant I was meeting my husband that year, gonna get married and soon be pregnant after. Well, the son came, but totally not according to MY plan -- however, He worked all things for the good and the promise was fulfilled in Jonathan.

So, in similar manner, yesterday, I opened my Meditations devotion. He's been doing a series out of Psalm 1 for the past week or so, however, yesterday, out of no where, guess which scripture he decided to use? Luke
5:1 - 11, focusing on “Put out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch.” - here's the full devotional:

Luke 5:1-11
On one occasion, while the crowd was pressing in on him to hear the word of God, he was standing by the lake of Gennesaret, 2 and he saw two boats by the lake, but the fishermen had gone out of them and were washing their nets. 3 Getting into one of the boats, which was Simon's, he asked him to put out a little from the land. And he sat down and taught the people from the boat. 4 And when he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Put out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch.” 5 And Simon answered, “Master, we toiled all night and took nothing! But at your word I will let down the nets.” 6 And when they had done this, they enclosed a large number of fish, and their nets were breaking. 7 They signaled to their partners in the other boat to come and help them. And they came and filled both the boats, so that they began to sink. 8 But when Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, “Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord.” 9 For he and all who were with him were astonished at the catch of fish that they had taken, 10 and so also were James and John, sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. And Jesus said to Simon, “Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching men.”[a] 11 And when they had brought their boats to land, they left everything and followed him.

The disciples had been following Jesus for some time. However, as we can see here, they had not completely given up their day jobs (or night jobs as it may be). Why were they out fishing the night before? Was it to simply have a time of fellowship? Was it to relax after a hard day at the evangelistic office? No, likely they were out trying to catch fish to make a living. Working for our food is a value which is (and should be) instilled in us from childhood. Scripture says that if a man does not work neither should he eat.

But what if Jesus wants you to follow after Him? What do you do then?
Well, the disciples tried to do both for a while. They were trying out tentmaking, as it is called. And there's nothing wrong with tentmaking, as Paul the Apostle would confirm. But what if Jesus Himself wants more out of you than your attentions can afford with a full or part time job? I suppose you find yourself in this situation: finding out that God really can provide.

You see, the same God who wants you to trust Him in obedience is the God who also has all power, all resources and all sufficiency for YOU. In Jesus' Name, I ask God to fill your net, rip your net, fill your boat and nearly sink your boat with a blessing so you may see once and for all very clearly that God Himself can and will take care of you. This was all took for the disciples. After this lesson, they forsook all and followed after Him.

Be blessed with a decisive victory.

Craig Thompson

Again - goosebumps. I had to sit for awhile to gather myself cause it really scared me how specific this message was. Today, Craig went back to Psalm 1, so it is just sooo uncanny how that message came on the day that it did.

So, that's my prayer: A decisive victory related to leaving the job and the right time to do so. I've looked into alternative health care resources, such as Samartian's ministry, which I believe will suffice for the short term. What continues to keep me tied up in fear is my concern about what people will think - my parents, Kay, and others. I don't want Kay, in particular, to think I'm trying to be a lazy, freeloader -- his monthly giving shouldn't be altered at all, really - Jonathan's needs are not too much right now. And if I'm home, that puts off daycare for a bit more. I'd still be able to pay rent (and my mother already, without knowing that I had plans to go back to school, told me I can reduce what I've been giving them, which includes paying her to watch Jonathan). I feel that maybe the Lord has me doing something with my writing as a ministry. How that would turn into money coming in, I have no idea. However, I'm not gonna really know until I step out in faith and just do what He's been calling me to do now for over a year and a half. I've just gotta do it.

So, this takes us to Day 2. I want to start tracking the daily devotion lesson's here for reference in the future. Here we go:

Scripture reading is Esther 7 & 8
7:3 - Then Queen Esther answered, “If I have found favor with you, O king, and if it pleases your majesty, grant me my life—this is my petition. And spare my people—this is my request.

Esther fasted before she sought the King's favor. This is a model for us as we come before our King with big requests. It's not that fasting changes God's mind-- but it changes our hearts so we can humbly ask for His intervention with a pure heart!

Read Esther 8:17 again and record the outcome of Esther's fast:
In every province and in every city, wherever the edict of the king went, there was joy and gladness among the Jews, with feasting and celebrating. And many people of other nationalities became Jews because fear of the Jews had seized them.

Wherever the "commands of the king" go, they bring joy & gladness! Because of His goodness, our King can turn our fast into a feast!

Journal your thoughts about these 2 big ideas from Esther:

* We need to FAST before we seek the King's FAVOR.

* The King has the power to turn our FASTING into a FEASTING!

I believe strongly that the Lord is already moving, as evidenced in the information above. I have two other requests that are strong in my spirit, and I believe He will move upon those, as well. I look forward to coming to Him on April 4th with these petitions and seeing the result -- experiencing the joy, witnessing His glory, having a new testimony of His faithfulness.

Here are all three petitions that I plan to make:
  1. A decisive victory related to leaving IBM - including the right time to do so, understanding in the hearts of those who will be indirectly (parents, Kay, friends) and directly impacted (ID team, management), and the Lord's favor and direction upon whatever He deems I need to do once I walk away.
  2. Brandon, Kay and Bill repenting and turning to Christ, accepting His free gift of salvation, and walking out a consecrated, abiding walk with the Lord in fellowship with other believers, in accountable relationships with other Godly males, as contributing members of Bible believing churches.
  3. Cancellation of the spirits of unforgiveness, resentment, contempt, bitterness, duplicity, distrust, neglect and anger in my parent's marriage, in Jesus's name, and loosing, in His mighty name, the bonds of love, forgiveness, care, kindness, gentleness, patience, goodness, peace and joy within the remaining years of their marriage - a restoration of what the locusts have attempted to destroy.
*Bonus: Completion of my family, i.e., a Christ-centered, responsible, debt-free, but generous, caring, affectionate and loving husband and father, one more healthy child by the age of 48, and a home for us all.

Tell God about the situation you're fasting for this Spring. Spend 15 minutes praying
& asking what His favor would look like in this crisis? What would please him most?
Honestly describe what outcome would turn your fast into feasting! Thank God for his favor in
Jesus Christ and commit yourself to joyfully receiving His response!

No comments:

Post a Comment